S’more Granola Bars Hooked Me Up with Mr. Marshmallow
Marshmallows and I always had issues…up until the moment I was introduced to s’mores, this dangerously gooey treat of chocolate and roasted marshmallows. Still not a fan of raw marshmallows though.
For some reason I thought for months when studying abroad that eating granola bars with any filling is bound to make me healthy, look good, not to mention lose weight… I soon realized that my theory was lacking much of an evidence.
Nonetheless, granola bars have become sort of a comfort food for me: great for chaotic breakfastless mornings, perfect afternoon snacks and a real treat on a daytrip. When I found a recipe of S’more granola bars online at Joy of Baking I knew I had to make it – a lot.
This is how it goes:
S’More Granola Bars:
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) (84 grams) unsalted butter cut into pieces
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (80 ml plus 1 tablespoon) pure maple syrup or golden syrup- I sometimes use honey and it works fine as well.
2 cups (190 grams) old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup (100 grams) graham cracker crumbs (or crushed digestive biscuits)
1/4 cup (25 grams) sweetened or unsweetened coconut (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (170 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups (90 grams) mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or use a non stick vegetable cooking spray or baking paper) a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) square baking pan.
2. Melt the butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup (golden syrup) in a medium sized saucepan, placed over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a large heatproof bowl.
3. Stir in the flour, oats, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, salt and ground cinnamon, making sure all the dry ingredients are coated with the butter mixture.
4. Press about half of this mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan and leave to cool (about 5-10 minutes).
5. Once the mixture has cooled sufficiently, evenly sprinkle with the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Top with the remaining crust mixture.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.
7. Cut into squares while they are still warm. Can be stored at room temperature for several days.
Makes about 16 – 2 inch square
I guess it just works wih just about any filling you want to put in it. Enjoy and leave a comment telling me what your favorite afternoon snack is.